Non-County Agency Funding
New Hanover County is committed to providing financial assistance to nonprofit agencies which assist the county in carrying out its mission and strategic objectives as outlined on the 2018 to 2023 Strategic Plan page. Non-County Agency funding is distributed on an annual basis through an established process that ensures transparency, accountability, and consistency in the funding of non-county agencies. To learn more about the eligibility criteria and allocation of funding, please review the Non-County Agency Funding Policy.
For questions regarding the Non-County Agency process, contact Gwen Hill at (910) 500-7894 or firstname.lastname@example.org
New Hanover County's Non-County Agency Funding process for FY23-24 closed on January 9, 2023.
The Non-County Agency Funding process for FY23-24 closed on January 9, 2023.
- Non-County agencies submit a complete application, and all its components, for funding to the county by a set deadline.
- Nonprofit applications are evaluated by the Non-County Agency Funding Committee, which recommends agencies and funding amounts to the Board of Commissioners.
- Final recommendations for funding are included in the County Manager’s Recommended Budget that is presented to the Board of County Commissioners.
- Non-County agencies approved for funding will be notified within one week of budget adoption.
- Funded agencies will be required to sign a contract or memorandum of understanding and will have January 15 and July 15 reporting requirements. They will also be required to submit audited (greater than or equal to $25K received) or compiled (Less than $25K received), board approved, financial statements prepared by an accounting professional.
- November 8 & 9: Non-County Agency Training
- November 10: Non-County Agency Funding Applications open
- January 9: Non-County Agency Funding applications close
- February 9 to March 24: Non-County Agency Funding Committee deliberations
- Mid-April: Non-County Agency Funding Committee Recommendations due to County Manager
- May 11: FY23-24 Recommended Budget informally presented to Board of Commissioners
- May 15: FY23-24 Recommended Budget formally presented to Board of Commissioners
- June 5: Public Hearing on FY23-24 Recommended Budget
- June 19: Board of Commissioners adopts FY23-24 Budget
Please note that mid-year requests for funding may be recommended to the Board of County Commissioners by the County Manager or one or more commissioners at a public meeting, however, mid-year requests are an exception, not the rule.