Submit Your Application
Submit an online application for each position that you want to be considered for employment. Paper resumes are not accepted. If you need computer access, public computers are located in many public libraries and in our Human Resources department.
- Make sure that you have read and are committed to New Hanover County's Mission, Vision, and Shared Values.
- View open positions.
- If you find a job for which you wish to apply, use the Apply button on the page and follow the prompts to create a profile and submit an application.
After You've Applied
After the closing date of the position, completed applications will be screened and the best-qualified candidates will be referred to the hiring department. The disposition of your application status will not be updated in the online portal until after the position has closed and referrals have been made to the department hiring managers. Candidates referred to the hiring department will be notified via email. If you are selected for a position, will have a criminal background check and drug screening successfully completed prior to beginning employment. Some positions may require a skills test and/or a driver's record check.
Once a position closes, your application status may read:
- Referred to Department: The candidate will receive an email if they have been referred to the department. The hiring department will then contact qualified candidates about next steps.
- Not Referred to Department at this Time: At this time, the candidate's resume and application have not been sent to the hiring department for consideration. This most likely means your application is not among the best qualified and will not be referred to the next step in the selection process. However, if the hiring department decides to interview more candidates for this position they may still consider your application.
Subscribe to Future Job Alerts
Don't see a current opening for your field? Sign up for job alerts to receive an email when there is a new position available with New Hanover County in your field. Your job alert subscription will remain active for 12 months after sign up.
Equal Employment Opportunity Plan
The county will recruit for and select individuals for employment or promotion on the basis of qualifications relative to the position vacancies being filled, without regard to race, sex, color, religion, national origin, age, or disability. The Human Resources Department will review hiring qualifications periodically to ensure that requirements conform to the actual job performance requirements and are consistently administered.
- How do I know I submitted my application properly?
You will receive a confirmation email notifying you that your application was successfully submitted. You can also go to GovernmentJobs, enter your username and password (same username and password used when completing the online application), and click on the “Applications and Status” tab.
- How can I check the status of my application?
Go to GovernmentJobs, enter your username and password (same username and password used when completing the online application), and click on the “Applications & Status” tab.
- How and when can I update my application?
Changes can be made to each section of the application at any time before it is submitted. Once you submit your application, the information is final and you cannot go back and make changes to the submitted application. If you submit a duplicate application for the same position before the closing date of the position, only the most recent application will be considered.
Please contact Human Resources if your address and / or phone number changes after you submit your application.
- What if I am not ready to fill out the application at this time?
No application is submitted until you click on the “Accept” button. If at any time you do not want to submit your application, save your work, then logout.
- Will I automatically be considered for other positions if I previously applied?
No, you must submit a separate application for each position you are interested in.