The Senior Resource Center's Nutrition Program promotes the health and well being of Older Adults by encouraging healthy eating habits which:
- Delay adverse health conditions
- Allow these individuals to remain independent as long as possible
The Nutrition Program provides meals prepared by an on-site caterer Monday through Friday. Congregate meals and programming is available at three locations in New Hanover County. Home Delivered meals and Drive-up meals are also provided to those that qualify. Please refer to the tabs below for specific program qualifications and location details.
The program also provides monthly cooking demonstrations and nutrition education/counseling with our on-site Nutritionist.
Through partnerships with the Food Bank of Central & Eastern North Carolina and Feast Down East, the Nutrition team coordinates monthly Farmers Markets and a Commodity Food Box Program. For details and qualification guidelines on these programs, please contact Dylan Donnelly, SRC Nutritionist, at (910) 798-6420 or Dylan Donnelly.
Ohana Café Dining
The Ohana Café is our main dining room at The Senior Resource Center. In addition to 2 convenient dining times, seniors can enjoy a variety of programs, services, and fitness classes held in the Ohana Café. Nutritious lunches are offered for seniors ages 60+.
- Location: Senior Resource Center, 2222 S College Road, Wilmington, NC 28403
- Dining and Activities Provided: Monday through Friday
- Lunch Times: 11:00 am and 12:00 pm
SRC Nutrition Program at Castle Hayne
The Senior Resource Center (SRC) has a Satellite Nutrition Site in Castle Hayne to serve residents in northern New Hanover County. Residents can enjoy a variety of programs, services, and fitness classes at Castle Hayne Baptist Church. Nutritious lunches will also be offered for seniors ages 60+.
- Location: Castle Hayne Baptist Church, 4544 Parmele Road, Castle Hayne, NC 28429.
- Dining and Activities Provided: Monday through Friday, 9:30 am to 1:30 pm
- Lunch Time: 11:15 am
SRC Nutrition Program at Katie B. Hines Senior Center
The Senior Resource Center (SRC) has a Satellite Nutrition Site in Carolina Beach to serve residents in southern New Hanover County. Residents can enjoy a variety of programs, services, and fitness classes at Katie B. Hines Senior Center. Nutritious lunches will also be offered for seniors ages 60+.
- Location: Katie B. Hines Senior Center, 308 Cape Fear Blvd, Carolina Beach, NC 28428.
- Hours: Monday through Friday, 10:00 am to 2:00 pm
- Lunch Time: 12:00 pm
Current registered senior participants and new participants age 60+ can pick up a lunch at the following drive-up locations, Monday through Friday.
- Senior Resource Center (2222 S College Road, Wilmington, NC), noon to 1:00 pm
- Castle Hayne Baptist Church (4544 Parmele Road, Castle Hayne, NC), noon to 1:00 pm
- G.S. Davis Center at Maides Park (1101 Many Avenue, Wilmington, NC) 11:30 am to 12:30 pm
The on-site Nutritionist will provide nutrition counseling and education to any New Hanover County Senior. Nutrition education programs are offered at the Center on:
- General nutrition
- Food resource management
- Food safety and preparation
- Healthy lifestyle
- Physical activity
For referrals to other local providers for health promotion services, please contact SRC Nutritionist Dylan Donnelly at (910) 798-6420 or email.
Home Delivered Meals are provided to eligible home-bound elderly citizens age 60 and over Monday through Friday, prepared at the Center's Nutrition site by a local catering company.
Eligibility requirements include:
- Must be a resident of New Hanover County
- 60 years of age or older
- Homebound - unable to leave home unassisted
- Living alone and unable to have nutrition needs met by family, friends, or others
- Unable to cook and/or shop –-due to ill health; lack of food preparation facilities (stove or refrigerator); or inability to meet special dietary needs
All potential program participants need to complete a telephone screening assessment to determine eligibility. A social worker will make a home visit to complete the assessment and enroll the participant into the program, if the participant meets eligibility requirements. At least every six months, participants are reassessed to determine their continued eligibility and to insure their needs continue to be appropriately met.
Menus from state guidelines provide 1/3 of daily food requirements. Meals on Wheels, Inc. a local non-profit organization that provides weekend meals, works closely with the Senior Resource Center to provide eligible clients meals on the weekends.
For more information on accessing the weekday home-delivered meals program, contact the Senior Resource Center at (910) 798-6400. For more information on the weekend program please call (910) 612-0676.