Are There Any Exemptions or Special Programs?

Yes, under certain circumstances, you may be eligible for reduced taxes if you meet the requirements specified in the North Carolina General Statutes. A brief description and the basic requirements are described under this section.

Tax Relief for Elderly & Permanently Disable

Property tax laws exclude the greater of $25,000 or 50% of the assessed value of your home and land up to and including 1 acre of land from the total assessed value of property owned by residents of North Carolina who reside in this residence and who meet the following requirements:

  • Must be 65 years old or older, or totally and permanently disabled. (If not 65 years old or older, but permanently disabled, you will need certification from a physician licensed to practice medicine in North Carolina. It is essential that the certificate state your disability is total and permanent. This form will be supplied by the Tax Office).
  • Total annual income coming into the home must not exceed the maximum noted on the application. (income is defined as all money coming into your home except inheritances received from a spouse, ancestor or descendant or gifts. For married applicants residing with their spouses, the income of both spouses must be included even if only one is an owner of the property.)

Anyone who meets these requirements can request an exclusion form by calling 798-7300. Applications should be filed prior to June 1 to insure the exclusion is granted for the current tax year.

If the June 1st deadline is missed, you may still return the form and appropriate information to our office. We will be required to submit your application to the Board of County Commissioners for their approval. You will need to write a letter, addressed to the Board of County Commissioners, explaining why the form is late.

Exempt Property

North Carolina General Statutes allow for certain types of property to be exempt from property taxes if they meet the requirements specified by the statutes. Some types of exempt property may include but are not limited to the following:

  • Property used for religious purposes.
  • Property set aside for burial.
  • Property used for educational, scientific or literary purposes.
  • Property used for charitable purposes.

To apply for an exemption, an application must be filed with the Tax Administrator during the regular listing period, which is the month of January. To receive an application or learn more about exempt property, please call 798-7300.

Land Use Programs

The North Carolina General Assembly enacted the "Land Use Program," which allows reduced tax values for individually owned property used for agriculture, horticulture or forestry. Basic eligibility requirements follow:

  • Agriculture: Agricultural land consisting of one or more tracts, one of which consists of at least 10 acres that is in actual agricultural production and that, for the 3 years preceding January 1 of the year for which the benefit is claimed, has produced an average gross income of at least $1000.
  • Horticulture: Land consisting of one or more tracts, one of which consists of at least five acres that is in actual production and that, for the three years preceding January of the year the benefit is claimed, has either produced an average gross income of $1,000 or been used to produce evergreens intended for use as Christmas trees and meet gross income requirements.
  • Forestry: Forestland consisting of one or more tracts, one of which consists of at least 20 acres that is in actual production and are not included in a farm unit. A forestry management plan is required.

To apply for the Land Use Program, or learn more about eligibility requirements, contact our office at 910-798-7300.

Show All Answers

1. When will I receive a bill for my real estate taxes?
2. Where can I pay my taxes?
3. How Are Taxes Determined?
4. What Is Taxable Property?
5. What Is Revaluation And Why Have It?
6. How is my value determined?
7. What if I Disagree with my property value?
8. Do you accept debit or credit card payments?
9. What is the Municipal Services District?
10. What is the debt service tax rate and what does it fund?
11. Are There Any Exemptions or Special Programs?
12. My vehicle value is too high, how do I appeal?
13. What if I buy and or sell property during the year?
14. When is the Annual Required Listing Period?