What is a Unified Development Ordinance?

New Hanover County’s new Unified Development Ordinance (UDO) will provide the community with a combined set of zoning, subdivision, stormwater, flood, and erosion control regulations in a single document. The creation of the combined UDO is not a new way to regulate development, but a better way to organize documents for the many developers, site designers, reviewers, residents, and decision-makers who use them. The combination of the county’s multiple sets of regulations in one document ensures that the rules of development in the county are easy to access, work in tandem with one another, and provide for the kind of development anticipated in the county’s adopted plans.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit for a swimming pool?
2. Do I need a permit to build a fence?
3. Do I need a permit to put up a sign?
4. Do Zoning staff regulate animal issues?
5. Do Zoning staff regulate noise issues?
6. How can I find out the zoning of my property?
7. Is a permit required to operate a Residential Care Facility?
8. What are subdivision regulations?
9. What are the regulations for home occupations?
10. What are zoning regulations?
11. What is a Conservation Overlay District (COD), and what can I do within a COD?
12. What is a Unified Development Ordinance?
13. What is a variance and how do I obtain one?
14. What is required by the Zoning office to open a business in New Hanover County?