What are the regulations for home occupations?

Home occupations may be permitted provided the following criteria are met:

  1. Only one person, other than members of the family residing on the premises, can be engaged in such occupation;
  2. The use of the dwelling unit for the home occupation must be clearly incidental and subordinate to its use for residential purpose by its occupants, and not more than 25% of the floor area of the dwelling unit can be used in the conduct of the home occupation;
  3. There must be no change in the outside appearance of the building or premises, or other visible evidence of the conduct of such home occupation other than one non-illuminated sign, not exceeding 2.25 square feet, mounted flat against the wall of the principal building;
  4. No home occupation can be conducted in any accessory building, such as a detached garage or shed;
  5. Traffic must not be generated by such home occupation in greater volumes than would normally be expected in a residential neighborhood, and any need for parking generated by the conduct of such home occupation must be met off the street and other than in any required yard. Vehicles used primarily as passenger vehicles including pickup trucks and step-type vans only may be permitted in connection with the conduct of the customary home occupation;
  6. No equipment or process can be used in such home occupation which creates noise, vibration, glare, fumes, or electrical interference detectable to the normal senses off the lot. In the case of the electrical interference, no equipment or process can be used which creates visual or audible interference in any radio or television receivers off the premises, or causes fluctuations in line voltages off the premises;
  7. Display of products must not be visible from the street. The selling of merchandise or the manufacture of merchandise for sale, except baking, sewing, and/or handicrafts normally made in the home, cannot be the primary function of the home occupation; and
  8. Instruction in music, dancing, or tutoring of academic subjects must be limited to four students at a time.

Show All Answers

1. Do I need a permit for a swimming pool?
2. Do I need a permit to build a fence?
3. Do I need a permit to put up a sign?
4. Do Zoning staff regulate animal issues?
5. Do Zoning staff regulate noise issues?
6. How can I find out the zoning of my property?
7. Is a permit required to operate a Residential Care Facility?
8. What are subdivision regulations?
9. What are the regulations for home occupations?
10. What are zoning regulations?
11. What is a Conservation Overlay District (COD), and what can I do within a COD?
12. What is a Unified Development Ordinance?
13. What is a variance and how do I obtain one?
14. What is required by the Zoning office to open a business in New Hanover County?